If you are experiencing a housing crisis,
please call the regional housing crisis hotline at 757-587-4202, or Toll Free at 866-750-4431.
The Housing Crisis Hotline is the region’s starting point for anyone who is experiencing a housing crisis and in need of shelter, case management, and related services. Not sure if you are experiencing a housing crisis? Ask yourself these two questions:
Are you living on the street or in an emergency shelter?
Have you received a 72 hour eviction notice from the Sheriff?
If you answer yes to either of those questions, please call the Housing Crisis Hotline. The Hotline staff will work to connect you to available services with local providers. You will be interviewed by an intake specialist to determine which referral makes the most sense, based on your situation and what’s available in the community.
The Housing Crisis Hotline does not provide any direct financial assistance.
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.- 7:00 p.m.
The fastest way to get connected to services is to call the Hotline at 757-587-4202, or Toll Free at 866-750-4431.
However, if you are not in an emergency situation, you can also fill out the form online HERE
Click HERE for National 211 Website
Click HERE for Virginia 211 Website
2-1-1 is an easy to remember phone number connecting people with free information on available community services. When you dial 2-1-1, a trained professional listens to your situation and suggests sources of help using one of the largest databases of health and human services in Virginia. 2-1-1 VIRGINIA provides access to services in your community and statewide. All referrals are confidential and you can search for these same services on this 2-1-1 VIRGINIA Web site. Government, nonprofit, and community-based agencies, as well as businesses that provide health and human services to the citizens of Virginia are encouraged to list their services. To list your agency, click on “Update/Add Your Agency” and then click on the “Add New Agency” button. 2-1-1 VIRGINIA is a service of the Virginia Department of Social Services provided in partnership with the Council of Community Services, The Planning Council, the United Way of Central Virginia, and the United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg.
Fueled by the Light of Christ and the dedicated support of partnering faith communities and other contributors, THRIVE Peninsula ministers to the physical, economic, educational, emotional and spiritual needs of our neighbors. Addressing both essential living needs (e.g., food, housing, utilities) and the unique crises affecting each person, this volunteer-driven coalition helps coordinate community resources for a tailored, integrated response. Find out more about them HERE
RESOURCES TO IMPROVE FINANCIAL STABILITY
Free on-line resources are available to help individuals and families learn more about financial management and how to reach important financial goals. These recommended sites include guidance, classes, toolkits, and videos on budgeting, saving, debt management, making major purchases, and much more.
1. GCF Learn Free offers an easy to navigate site with lots of information on budgeting, saving and money management. GFC LEARN FREE
2. Balance Track offers a well-designed site with lots of resources and worksheets. All chapters are available as podcasts and all can be presented in Spanish. BALANCE TRACK
3. MoneyWi$e, a national financial literacy partnership of Consumer Action and Capital One, offers free, multilingual financial education materials, curricula and teaching aids. MONEYWI$E
4. Money Management International offers 11 interactive video on a range of financial topics to improve financial success. The Family Interaction Guide is a downloadable workbook full of ideas for the whole family. MONEY MANAGEMENT
5. Money Smart – A Financial Education Program is offered by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation MONEY SMART This comprehensive course can be provided by an instructor or taken individually at this link: Money Smart CBI Online . Registration (free) is required.
6. Dave Ramsey– America’s trusted voice on money, is a New York Times best-selling author and radio host. Learn to budget, beat debt, & build a legacy. DAVERAMSEY.COM
HAVING TROUBLE AFFORDING YOUR PET?
Go to HERE to get a list of National and State Resources for Pet Owners
Click HERE to get help rehoming your pet.